Serentiy Prayer

"... grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
" -- Reinhold Neibuhr, 1934

Monday, September 6, 2010

Quotations about Hanging in There

I recently encountered a quote by Franklin D. Roosevelt. I think it was probably vintage World War Two.

“When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.”

-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

So I did what I always do, and went online to look it up to make sure it was attributed correctly, etc.

I found this list at QuoteGarden.com of an entire page of “Hang in There” quotes:

http://www.quotegarden.com/hang-in.html

I am going to share some of my personal favorites that just happen to be on that list, and a few that were new to me, but just sort of resonate for me. Some are uplifting, and others are not so much, but they do speak to that part of me that feels the weight of being a caregiver from time to time. By connecting with the strength of others who have endured suffering, I also find courage and renewed strength to carry on.

I hope you find some quotations that can do that for you too.

When you finish reading this, and at any time after today, feel free to reply to THIS message with new quotations. Just trim off the extra bits so the reply contains only the quotation. If eventually we have some repeats, that is okay. But we can build a list that has meaning for this group. I look forward to seeing your new quotations and we should have quite a thread

Alternately, if you find another page full of quotations, you can share that link. Be sure to provide at least a one sentence description of where you found it.

Here are some to get us started.

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Fall seven times, stand up eight. ~Japanese Proverb

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves. ~Edmund Hillary

If you’re going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn. ~Author Unknown

It’s not easy taking my problems one at a time when they refuse to get in line. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

That some good can be derived from every event is a better proposition than that everything happens for the best, which it assuredly does not. ~James K. Feibleman

Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents which, in prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant. ~Horace (Quintus Horatius Flaccus), Satires

God gave burdens, also shoulders. ~Yiddish Proverb

Man performs and engenders so much more than he can or should have to bear. That’s how he finds that he can bear anything. ~William Faulkner

The art of living lies less in eliminating our troubles than in growing with them. ~Bernard M. Baruch

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.

But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see.

Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

~Dr. Seuss

Rock bottom is good solid ground, and a dead end street is just a place to turn around. ~Buddy Buie and J.R. Cobb, “Rock Bottom”

If the wind will not serve, take to the oars. ~Latin Proverb

Never give in... never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force... never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. ~Winston Churchill

You must be at the end of your rope. I felt a tug. ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment